Terry Elementary School Celebrates 135th Anniversary

September 21, 2017

Earlier this month, Terry Elementary School in Selma celebrated 135 years! The original school was named after Alanzo Mason Terry, who owned 160 acres and donated a portion of his land so Terry District could be built. The school started on May 4, 1882 and later merged with Central to become Terry Union District and then became part of Selma Unified in 1967.

Team Vidak District Representative Claudia Salinas presented Terry Elementary School a Senate Resolution in honor of their 135th Anniversary. The celebration had several alumni guest speakers and class research projects related to their school’s history and significant historical events that took place in the late 1800s.

Top Left: Selma Unified School District Superintendent Dr. Tanya Fisher and Terry Elementary School Students lead the Flag Salute to kick off the 135th Anniversary Celebration.

Top Right: Team Vidak’s Claudia Salinas presented a Senate Resolution to Terry Elementary School Principal Rosa Baly to recognize the 135 years that the school has been serving students in the Selma community.

Bottom: Terry Elementary School Alumni from various years gather to celebrate its long history and traditions.